"The artist's vocation is to send light into the human heart"
To bunny ear or to bonnet... THAT is the question. The girls said bunny ears... wait, no, flower crowns! Then my creative mash up brain said: BUNNY EAR FLOWER CROWNS. I thought I was a genius for a day and then my Pinterest feed was flooded with bunny ear flower crowns. But have you seen a recycled egg carton flower version? I think not! (If you have, don't tell me.)
- egg carton (1x per set of ears)
- wrapped wire bunny ear headband (or you can make your own)
- acrylic or tempera paint in bright spring colors
- sharp scissors
- dot stickers
- glue gun
I had big plans to make the girls oversized wire bunny ears this year like this ^ but then the Art Gods threw me a bone and I scored these pre made wrapped wire bunny ears at Target a few weeks back. So my fully handmade idea turned into a quick and easy up-cycle. Love when that happens!
We are big fans of the egg carton flower. So it was our first choice material for our bunny ear blooms.
Speaking of egg carton florals...remember our V-day flower wreaths? Well they work beautifully as Easter wreaths too! The girls have had their heart wreath hanging on their bedroom door since the end of January and I don't see it coming down anytime soon.
When we started making our blooms we all agreed that the petite flowers looked the best on our ears. The big ones were fun but they just didn't fit the band as nicely. Be sure to make plenty of leaves because they really make the flower crown come alive.
1. Cut your egg carton flower shapes and leaves. 2. Paint your blooms and leaves with a bright spring-y palette. 3. Tempera and acrylic paint dry really fast especially on egg cartons. We painted some of our centers and then my brilliant R suggested we use some dot stickers for the centers and they really made them pop!
Pretty spring time flowers made with just egg cartons, paint, and flower stickers!
4. We started in the center gluing down a single bloom. 5. Then added leaves and blooms, more leaves, more blooms... 6. A little dab of hot glue easily secured the flowers and leaves to our bands.